Wednesday, April 7, 2010

My New Guilty (but, not so guilty) Pleasure

I don't know about you, but I'd prefer to have the real version of anything over the diet, light, sugar free version, and that especially applies to ice cream. Back in college, when I was living with roommates, we stocked the freezer with Weight Watchers ice cream treats. I admit, they're good, but something is missing. They just don't taste the same or as good as the real thing. Nevertheless, when I ate one Weight Watchers ice cream treat, inevitably I'd want a second one, and sometimes a third one. Obviously, I know that this defeats the whole point of eating lowfat or light ice cream, which brings me to my problem with diet food - you know it has fewer calories so you think you can have more. Beyond that, I think that because diet food just isn't as satisfying as the real thing we tend to want more hoping that the second or third serving of it will finally make us feel satisfied. Now you do the math, if you eat two Weight Watchers ice cream sandwiches at 140 calories a pop, you've consumed 280 calories. The funny thing is, you could have a half cup of Ben and Jerry's chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream for 270 calories, 10 calories less than two diet ice cream sandwiches!! Honestly, most of us would rather eat the real ice cream, but somehow we trick ourselves into thinking we're saving calories and satisfying our craving if we don't eat the real thing. It's so funny how our minds work!

Now, instead of eating light ice cream I eat the real thing. My new guilty pleasure is the new 90-calorie Twix ice cream bars. I admit, they are small, but they are so good that I am so much more satisfied eating one 90-calorie Twix ice cream bar versus two or three Weight Watchers treats.

The lesson here is, eat the things you love and eat the real version, just be sure to watch your portions. You don't have to give up taste to lose weight, and sometimes doing that will just backfire on you anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment